PDA

View Full Version : Sniper (Pump Cocker) Cocking Rod Setup

mxmtl
09-29-2007, 04:05 PM
How do you personally setup your cocking rod for an autococker converted to pump, and how does it work for you?

When I got mine, it was setup with the knob almost all the way in. The lug would act as the “back stop” for the pump stroke.

The other night, I used Moody Paintball’s timing guide to set the cocking rod “to hear the click about 1/8" before the back block can no longer be pulled further back.” This makes the back of the pump guide as the back stop. I found that the pump stroke was smoother, albeit longer. The bolt also came much further back, but not too far back to get double feeds as tested with ReBalls.

lew
10-03-2007, 10:40 PM
When I had a Sniper, I set it up so the back of the pump guide rod limited the rearward travel. I also put an o-ring on the guide rod to cushion any impact. It would be easier and cheaper to replace the guide rod if it got all beat to heck rather than the body because the hammer lug peened the back of the hammer lug channel.

mxmtl
10-03-2007, 11:59 PM
The o-ring on the guide rod is a great idea! Thanks, I'm going to try that.

I also figured that having the lug repeatedly slammed against the back of the lug channel might eventually cause damage.

lew
10-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Occasionally, I have a stroke of genius. :D

I figure any practical way to reduce wear and tear and prolong the life of the machine- in this case a Sniper- should be taken. I hate to see gear go down for some small, easily avoidable damage.

T18CAPT
12-08-2007, 01:29 AM
Does anyone place anything between the back block and the frame to keep them from slapping together on the forward pump stroke?

Andrewliu6294
12-08-2007, 01:47 AM
i put a couple layers of electrical tape to dampen the impact...

T18CAPT
12-08-2007, 01:55 AM
yeah that would work. Thanks! I was also thinking of making a rubber gasket out a piece of inner tube.. I'd cut it to the shape of the back block and punch holes for the bolt and arm.

thumper
12-08-2007, 01:59 AM
CCM delrin back block is a bit more friendly

lighten up on the pump return spring

I used some Soft Spots cut to shape once, but the idea lost its appeal shortly after. I also tried some 3M rubber insulation tape once.

k.macocker
12-08-2007, 02:16 AM
gaffers tape would prob be nice.
check it out for drummers..
Kmac