PDA

View Full Version : Divorce (the law sucks!!!)

k.macocker
11-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Who gets the shaft!!!

it's always been said that men get the shaft in a divorce. but I think it goes both ways. I know of a woman that has been divorced for 2 years now, and separted 2 before that. In the divorce papers it states he is responsible for all bills (taxes, Credit card, utilities, etc).
well, she has been tracked down by the state for back taxes that she did not know about from 5-6 years ago. She found that he had a credit card she did not know about, the cc company keeps calling her. When she tells both the state and cc company she can present a copy of the divorce papers stating he is responsible, both say they do not recognize divorce papers!!!
He is a dead beat dad that is a truck driver traveling all over the country that will not pay child support for neither of his 2 childern. When he is found, they garnish one pay check and he quits his job and moves again! To take action on the taxes she must pay a lawyer with money she does not have!! They only reason they come after her is she lives her life "right" and therefore easily found, and they can't find him. I expect this from the cc company, but the state!! and she has spoken to lawyers, they say she is basically screwed!!
Now if she was like much of the world she wouldn't care, but she wants to clear this off of her credit.
lets hear some solutions, opinions!!
The law protects those who abuse the system!!
Kmac

Wolf13
11-16-2007, 10:47 PM
gal at our office has been married a few times (often enough that she has four names in the computer system and has been employed there about 6 years). her last divorce was a marriage that lasted a little over a year and netted her a new condo, a new mustang and all her debts paid off.

k.macocker
11-16-2007, 10:48 PM
gal at our office has been married a few times (often enough that she has four names in the computer system and has been employed there about 6 years). her last divorce was a marriage that lasted a little over a year and netted her a new condo, a new mustang and all her debts paid off.

Wow, my friend needs to learn how to work the system better.
It seems to suck both ways!!
kmac

RavagersTC
11-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Ignore the CC company and the state. Tell them they can go through collections like everybody else, and when they take her to court over it present the divorce papers. In a court of law it will hold up. The cc says they don't recognize it, but a judge will most likely see it a lot differently.

lew
11-17-2007, 01:25 AM
It's easier to go after her and get money than it is the deadbeat ex-husband. The law's on her side and they know it, but that won't stop them.

k.macocker
11-17-2007, 02:36 PM
why are the lawyers telling her she's screwed?? Unless they don't see any $$$ in it for them and don't want to deal with it, since it's not a "rewarded $$$$" type case.

Kmac

Vantrepes
11-17-2007, 05:01 PM
The question is when was the debt incurred. If it happened while they were married, then she may end up being responsible for it, no matter what the divorce papers say.
A divorce settlement is an agreement between the people that were married, so she would have to go after her ex to get him to uphold his end of the agreement.

Divorce sucks. I have seen people, both men and women, get completely screwed by their ex. It depends on the judge, and how good your lawyer is.

FeWolf
11-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Men get it!
As a single parent, my X got to keep it all, even the toys and clothes, ect..., I had to start from scratch, plus I got no child support, 5 yrs later when she got the kids, I had to pay child support, insurance and a few other things, I have no issues with taking care of the children, as long as the money went to them, but after you see a new truck and gaint screen TV and a bunch of other things the X bought, you wonder who is getting the money!

RavagersTC
11-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Men get it!
As a single parent, my X got to keep it all, even the toys and clothes, ect..., I had to start from scratch, plus I got no child support, 5 yrs later when she got the kids, I had to pay child support, insurance and a few other things, I have no issues with taking care of the children, as long as the money went to them, but after you see a new truck and gaint screen TV and a bunch of other things the X bought, you wonder who is getting the money!

Then a few weeks later, you hear about an unfortunate gas leak that occurred while the family was out, and the house and car were demolished in a fire ball....

;););)

k.macocker
11-19-2007, 07:40 PM
I see it as a double edged sword. basically in favor of the person willing to take advantage of the system. While the "honest" person gets burnt to a crisp!!
Kmac

PsYcHoHoLiC
11-19-2007, 10:31 PM
Ignore the CC company and the state. Tell them they can go through collections like everybody else, and when they take her to court over it present the divorce papers. In a court of law it will hold up. The cc says they don't recognize it, but a judge will most likely see it a lot differently.

I'm with you but if the CC or the State Tax's are in her name yes she is screwed...

If not then they have no case...

RavagersTC
11-20-2007, 01:22 AM
I'm with you but if the CC or the State Tax's are in her name yes she is screwed...

If not then they have no case...

My "useless" criminal justice class has come in handy :D

FeWolf
11-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Onrething that got her, she filed taxes using the children SSN, IRS did an audit, I will say it was not in her favor rotfl, only time I ever liked the IRS!