PDA

View Full Version : Too Loud

CockerCraze
11-17-2007, 04:00 AM
How do you make a cocker work quietly? mine now makes me deaf in one ear when i start ripping. i want mine to be silky smooth and you just hear the balls sailing.

drg
11-17-2007, 04:42 AM
Tuning/operating pressure and ported barrel.

Railgun
11-17-2007, 06:59 AM
I recently got a Vector.... what did you say? I couldn't hear you! ! ! !

:D

drg
11-17-2007, 07:11 AM
Hahah I have a Busmaster SI and a Sidekick pistol ... eh???

Vantrepes
11-17-2007, 07:14 AM
Try a Rainmaker.....KABOOM

Railgun
11-17-2007, 07:33 AM
Lots of sympathy you're getting here, eh?

Barrel makes a big difference and running a moderately low but not super low pressure. Keep in mind that your reg and valve both need to be tuned to work together for best efficiency and presumably lowest audio signature.

k.macocker
11-17-2007, 03:10 PM

you took my thoughts from when I used to tinker around with this tank.. and your didn't get it right, its sha-KABOOM! remember the slight delay??

does anyone remember when they were 99.00 at action village??

http://www.pbase.com/k_macocker/image/71329770.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/k_macocker/image/71329771.jpg

try to respring it. maybe a stiffer valve spring. I had one way too light one time on a cocker, it sounded terrible.
enjoy,
Kmac

Vantrepes
11-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Lots of sympathy you're getting here, eh?

Barrel makes a big difference and running a moderately low but not super low pressure. Keep in mind that your reg and valve both need to be tuned to work together for best efficiency and presumably lowest audio signature.
You have a point. Sorry, some times we go off on a tangent, and, well, yea.....

Anyway, the first thing to do is to sweet spot the inline reg, then a good paint to barrel match, and a good barrel, and you should be able to hear just fine after that.

lew
11-17-2007, 07:26 PM
does anyone remember when they were 99.00 at action village??

Definitely missed that one. I would have bought one to screw around with, or, in the very least, shot it with the real guns.

:D:cool:

You're probably not going to get a Cocker to run at a low enough pressure to just hear the balls sailing by, but lowering the pressure will have a tremendous effect on the sound signature.

drg
11-18-2007, 06:24 AM

Well rainmakers are electronic vectors, which were already mentioned :p

Vantrepes
11-18-2007, 06:32 AM
True, but for some reason, the Rainmaker always seemed louder to me.

trentdk
11-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Make sure the back block doesn't hit the body. Backblock slapping is crazy loud, and bad for the maker. Make sure you have a gap.

CockerCraze
11-19-2007, 02:09 AM
i have the gap, its the air rushing through it that makes all the noise. i am going to mq it so maybe that will change things. does anyone know if you have a midgetized cocker if the mq valve will still work? i know that there is a different spacer for the standard and the karnivor, but what does it space too?

drg
11-19-2007, 02:00 PM
You're probably not going to get a Cocker to run at a low enough pressure to just hear the balls sailing by, but lowering the pressure will have a tremendous effect on the sound signature.

I dunno about that, I've had some seriously quiet 'cockers before ... Thing is, efficiency tuning kind of works against you as far as sound signature. With efficient guns, you get a much sharper "crack" with the snappy valve opening and high flow valves and bolts. I noticed this with my tornado. Some of the quietest guns I've seen were not necessarily the most efficient.

Dees_Troy
11-19-2007, 03:48 PM
i have the gap, its the air rushing through it that makes all the noise. i am going to mq it so maybe that will change things. does anyone know if you have a midgetized cocker if the mq valve will still work? i know that there is a different spacer for the standard and the karnivor, but what does it space too?

Since this is in the "mechanical cocker" forum, I hope you know that you'll need an electro to use the mQ valve. I have an mQ in a mini midget turtle cocker.

The spacer does 2 things. First and foremost, the mQ without the spacer isn't long enough in a normal cocker body to be held in place by the IVG. The spacer adds the needed length. The spacer also provides a spot for the cocking rod to screw in. The cocking rod is no longer used to cock the marker with the mQ since there isn't a hammer/sear, so the cocking rod really only acts as a guide to keep the back block from twisting very much. I'm pretty sure the mQ manual says that the cocking rod isn't required, so you can leave it out if you wish.

In my midget turtle, I don't have a cocking rod anyway since it's a halfblock. I removed the spacer and inserted three to five one-quarter-inch flat washers that I bought at the hardware store for less than $1. I had to file my washers down a bit to get them to fit inside the bottom tube as they were too big around, but depending on the manufacturer, you may not need to file your washers down at all. The mQ manual mentions cutting the provided spacer when using a midget, but since I had no need for a cocking rod, the washers were easier than cutting, plus if you don't get a straight cut, you might not get a very good fit.

If you go the washer route, do make sure that you put enough washers in the bottom tube. If you don't, your IVG will run out of threads and it'll feel like you've got it tight, but the mQ will still be loose and won't seal right. More washers is better.

CockerCraze
11-19-2007, 04:13 PM
thanks for clearifying that for me. i kind of figured thats what the spacer was for, but i didnt want to buy the mq and find out it wont work in my gun. does the mq make the gun quieter or louder? can you make an mq stay open longer? I think that would decrease the sound it makes, but i am taking a stab in the dark.

k.macocker
11-19-2007, 04:50 PM
mq is controlled by eblade settings..
Kmac

russc
12-02-2007, 03:41 AM
I use venturi bolts. They really do help quiet a gun down.

k.macocker
12-02-2007, 06:33 AM
I use venturi bolts. They really do help quiet a gun down.

12 or more sure do, the 6 hole didn't do much. but the ans quick put 15 or 16 hole was real good at fps and quiter. but I think the valve, hammer, and spring set up has a lot to do with it as well. and then a barrel with a lot of porting.
Kmac

lowridr34
12-04-2007, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=Railgun;14743]Lots of sympathy you're getting here, eh?

lol my cocker is loud but not with paint but i top all of you witha a-5 lol top that

CockerCraze
12-04-2007, 07:03 PM
ill take you on with my prehistoric sting-ray.