PDA

View Full Version : Linux how many?

PsYcHoHoLiC
11-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Hello i went to linux like 5-6 years ago i just wanted to know how many of you out there use it.....

And of course if anyone needs help i can try to help i know a good deal about it...

I have used Mandrak "mandrivia",Gentoo,Fedora,Ubuntu,suse, and a few others...

Let me know what you run and how you like it..

Cossar
11-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Ooo, I was going to switch to Ubuntu, but my hd had a bad sector, so I couldn't. Unless you know of a way around that. I'm looking at getting a lappy next summer though, so I'm gonna put Ubuntu on it.

AzrealDarkmoon
11-20-2007, 12:31 AM
Been using Linux (Ubuntu) for about 6 months now. Works fine, dual boot between it and Windows.

PsYcHoHoLiC
11-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Seems to me that Ubuntu is a big hit with the windows crowd i wanted to wing my dad to it..
his win2000 is gitting old and buggy. and he is a penny pincher....

Any hoot i for got to mention this I like to run kde so i guess that makes my ver. of ubuntu "kubuntu"....

FeWolf
11-20-2007, 03:13 PM
I went to Sabayon Linux, heavy support of graphics cards, onething lacking in Ubuntu, I had to uninstall 7.10 and go to 7.04 to play Guild Wars, one of the very few games I play, and coding my graphics card was not fun, very time consuming.
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/

I am running dual boot linux for now Ubuntu 7.04 and Sabayon, I am leaning toward Sabayon, I have a few more things to try out, I also install win98 SE just for my old school games and the wife, she crashed it again last night, I think her and the computor do not get along, I got her a laptop, had enough of this!

PsYcHoHoLiC
11-20-2007, 03:50 PM
I went to Sabayon Linux, heavy support of graphics cards, onething lacking in Ubuntu, I had to uninstall 7.10 and go to 7.04 to play Guild Wars, one of the very few games I play, and coding my graphics card was not fun, very time consuming.
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/

I am running dual boot linux for now Ubuntu 7.04 and Sabayon, I am leaning toward Sabayon, I have a few more things to try out, I also install win98 SE just for my old school games and the wife, she crashed it again last night, I think her and the computor do not get along, I got her a laptop, had enough of this!

Sabayon my cousin uses that he likes it alot. in the new ver's of kubuntu 7.10 it has this new program for hard to install stand alone drivers. called Restricted Drivers Manager and is standard with ubuntu now....

I hope they come out with a patch or a ver's of Starcraft 2 because i want that bad... if not then i will be dual booting to...

FeWolf
11-20-2007, 08:28 PM
Restricted Drivers Manager, that was my whole issue, even as the admin I could not get into itBAN

FeWolf
11-20-2007, 09:38 PM
someone PMed me on what is Linux I will try and explain the best I can, it is an alternate Operating System, ie not MS Windows and not Apple, even thou Apple has the Linux Kernal in it.
better yet I found this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

AzrealDarkmoon
11-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Actually Apple uses a BSD variant called Darwin.

Az

DocSoulJah
11-21-2007, 12:51 AM
I'm getting a project desktop going because my laptop sucks for games and memory. I really want Linux on it but I'm concerned as to the compatibility it will have with games I play (Starcraft, AOE III, Starcraft 2 soon, Fable: TLC, etc.). Apparently Unbutu is very popular, I take it you would suggest that version?

I can't wait to get this computer online. I'm going to max out the memory and RAM capabilities =D

AzrealDarkmoon
11-21-2007, 03:52 AM
Compatibility with games is a mixed bag at best, for most games it is still best to dual boot.

Az

Draken
11-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Day to day stuff, still running XP on my lappy, but do have the gentoo and Knoppix live CDs that I use when working on computers, also have UBCD, very usefull for fixing lost password issues

Oh yeah, and I don't like OSx...but my powerbook G4 was free, so can't gripe to much about it

AzrealDarkmoon
11-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Really? I really like OSX, been using it as my laptop os for 2.5 years now without nay hiccups.

SaharaJunkee
11-21-2007, 01:33 PM
I don't use it at home, but it's used heavily at my job. I'm a Windows administrator and still use it for some of the security work I do. Most of our security tools are Linux based.

PsYcHoHoLiC
11-22-2007, 01:08 AM
I don't use it at home, but it's used heavily at my job. I'm a Windows administrator and still use it for some of the security work I do. Most of our security tools are Linux based.

Yes that is a new trend and Window$ hates it...

FeWolf
11-22-2007, 05:36 AM
I would suggest Ubuntu 7.04 al ot of the games run on it 7.10 has some screwy graphics locks.Sabayon *is large but designed for hardware, like the current vid card and alot of enchancements.

PsYcHoHoLiC
11-22-2007, 04:24 PM
I would suggest Ubuntu 7.04 al ot of the games run on it 7.10 has some screwy graphics locks.Sabayon *is large but designed for hardware, like the current vid card and alot of enchancements.

Yeah i think my rig in the bedroom "my cpu" is going to get a new os its running opensuse 10.2 with duel boot gentoo...
But Sabayon is looking nice..

FeWolf
11-23-2007, 06:40 AM
Yeah i think my rig in the bedroom "my cpu" is going to get a new os its running opensuse 10.2 with duel boot gentoo...
But Sabayon is looking nice..

Sabayon is based off Gentoo, I will say if is alot more intense then say Ubuntu or Suse which I just downloaded the 4gb version
I have been reading alot about Suse and I am pretty impressed espeically with IBM and Novell support. I am Dual boot linux, I had my wife try a few and she likes Ubuntu, by the way the new ATI drivers where released yesterday.I rin testingabout 10 version of Linux for myself, I have 2 HD one will be for the wife and kids and the other will be for myself.