PDA

View Full Version : can you buy just the roller for the sear?

durtysoufcraka
11-24-2007, 12:20 AM
I recently bought an autococker and I took it apart and saw that the roller sear was broken. The two arms that hold the roller wheel were broken. One was completely broken and the roller just fell out because it wasn't held on. My question is how do roller sears get sold and can I just buy the parts I need?
-durty

k.macocker
11-24-2007, 01:01 AM
they come complete. just buy a standard sear and forget the roller thing.. check ebay,
Kmac

Cossar
11-24-2007, 02:47 AM
I've always wondered what does the roller sear do different than a normal sear? Does it allow shorter pull, or smoother action?

k.macocker
11-24-2007, 03:56 AM
I've always wondered what does the roller sear do different than a normal sear? Does it allow shorter pull, or smoother action?

supposed to be smoother, def not shorter. and if it's the type that has the roller on both ends it would even be a longer pull.
Kmac

thumper
11-24-2007, 12:07 PM
I've got a Belsales Equalizer roller sear on one of my old sliders and I wish I had a few more. I think it helps reduce drag a bit during the pull - even when compared to mega-polished sears and plates. As for pull -- cant say. I normally go longer and more reliable over tuned to a fine hair. I know Belsales focused their R&D into the rythm and precision of a cocker instead of raw speed. Probally why they make the roller sear.

http://www.teamsection8.com/thumpers-snipers/evil-twins.jpg

additionally : I tried the xtream rage roller trigger plates --hated them.

Railgun
11-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Ya knows.... if the idea of the roller sear was to smoothen and lighten the pull of the slider I wonder why no one when the extra yard and used rollers in the frame? A lot of frames use the play adjuster screws in the bottom of the slider plate track and these contact points plus the sear shoe are really where the pressure points are on the slider. With perhaps some lifting forces at the top where it slides on the body. So a fourth roller should be up there to reduce those. Not much to be done on the sides but that friction would be quite minimal. With rollers at all the pressure points the pull should be amazingly light and totally frictionless with the only remaining source of friction being the 3way Orings. Such a roller plate on it's own would not require a plate return spring. The sear's spring would be enough to snap it forward again with gusto If you've ever seen a linear roller bearing setup like on a very good quality sliding compound mitre saw you'll have some idea of this. But even those are not really the best when you compare them to some other linear bearings.

It's all the lack of sliding contact that makes a hinge frame fundementally superior to a slider in this regard.

k.macocker
11-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Ya knows.... if the idea of the roller sear was to smoothen and lighten the pull of the slider I wonder why no one when the extra yard and used rollers in the frame? A lot of frames use the play adjuster screws in the bottom of the slider plate track and these contact points plus the sear shoe are really where the pressure points are on the slider. With perhaps some lifting forces at the top where it slides on the body. So a fourth roller should be up there to reduce those. Not much to be done on the sides but that friction would be quite minimal. With rollers at all the pressure points the pull should be amazingly light and totally frictionless with the only remaining source of friction being the 3way Orings. Such a roller plate on it's own would not require a plate return spring. The sear's spring would be enough to snap it forward again with gusto If you've ever seen a linear roller bearing setup like on a very good quality sliding compound mitre saw you'll have some idea of this. But even those are not really the best when you compare them to some other linear bearings.

It's all the lack of sliding contact that makes a hinge frame fundementally superior to a slider in this regard.

actually they did make trigger plates with roller bearings. cant remember who did it first, but extreme rage copied it and made their cheap versions.
Kmac

Railgun
11-24-2007, 06:30 PM
So much for my idea to introduce something new and win fame and fortune among the massive mechanical autococker fraternity..... :D

Der Cockermeister
11-29-2007, 12:34 AM
i thought about putting microbearings in the frame, but they would have to be perfectly parallel and snug to the plate. due to differing manufacturing tollerances on various plates some may be too tall and bind against the body while others too short leaving verticle slop.

k.macocker
11-29-2007, 02:12 AM
I think some had them on the top and bottom, but IIRC the extreme rage just has them non the top, so the plate still rubs on the 2 bottom set scews..
Kmac