PDA

View Full Version : computer/internet problems

k.macocker
12-03-2007, 11:47 PM
need some help here.

customcockers is my my home page. so when opening internet explorer it opens, slowly but opens.

if I try to type any other address in the addy bar then it says can't find.
it states possible problems as either the web site is down. my connection is down, etc.. but I can access customcockers only.. so I know the web is not down.
shut the computer down and restarted with same results.
and I tried ebay, paypal, pbnation, they can't all be down..

is this a firewall issue. and I have vista along with DSL if that means anything.
Kmac

k.macocker
12-03-2007, 11:49 PM
and talking to a friend on the phone. he homepage is yahoo.com will open. but he can't access anything else other than his home page either..
links from CC don't work either..
this is crazy..

he is vista and same dsl provider as me..
Kmac

Wolf13
12-03-2007, 11:52 PM
get firefox BAN

that is an odd problem, maybe security settings?

k.macocker
12-03-2007, 11:56 PM
I have changed nothing. neither has my friend. he ran he norton and no virus found..
Kmac

k.macocker
12-04-2007, 12:03 AM
ok. my dad has same computer as me, same service and same problems. but he has a different home page that works.. lol.

I don't see how this could be the service since we are accessing the net, but 3 different websites..

I don't know crap about computers. but when I diagnose it mentions the firewall. I wonder if vista/MO has "updated" vista and created this problem?? Possible??

Kmac

DocSoulJah
12-04-2007, 12:20 AM
ok. my dad has same computer as me, same service and same problems. but he has a different home page that works.. lol.

I don't see how this could be the service since we are accessing the net, but 3 different websites..

I don't know crap about computers. but when I diagnose it mentions the firewall. I wonder if vista/MO has "updated" vista and created this problem?? Possible??

Kmac

Very possible, highly probable.
Best thing to do, disable all windows security and see if that helps. Then restart. Also, get a different kind of browser; Opera or Firefox (MOZILLA FTMFW). Try to change all of the windows security systems over to third-party services. Norton, AVG, Mcafee, etc. THat includes firewalls and virus/email protection. Get Mozilla Thunderbird as your email manager over MS Outlook as Thunderbird and Firefox have much, much tighter security.

Once you have done that, you will know for sure that it is not a browser, security setting issue or the result of a virus. You can then diagnose it to be whether or not it is your ISP, connection or something out of your control.

AzrealDarkmoon
12-04-2007, 02:07 AM
Odd, have you seen if you are able to ping sites? Windows Key -> Run -> Cmd -> ping www.google.com .

Also some firewalls redirect all traffic to your local host then filter it from there, so if you open up Internet Connections and I forget which tab see if a proxy is down.

Also try unplugging and plugging in your network equipment. If you are able to ping a variety of sites then something on port 80 is borked, firewall and such is the likely culprit.

Az

Draken
12-04-2007, 03:12 AM
I have Verizon DSL service, and sometimes their DNS service goes down, and I'm only able to get to stuff by IP also, its sounding more like an issue on their end with 3 different computers in 3 different locations doing the same thing.

k.macocker
12-04-2007, 03:15 AM
Odd, have you seen if you are able to ping sites? Windows Key -> Run -> Cmd -> ping www.google.com .

Also some firewalls redirect all traffic to your local host then filter it from there, so if you open up Internet Connections and I forget which tab see if a proxy is down.

Also try unplugging and plugging in your network equipment. If you are able to ping a variety of sites then something on port 80 is borked, firewall and such is the likely culprit. Az

ok your going to have to speak my language, lol..
Ping??
talk elementary about the part in red??
thanks for the input..

with 3 different people having the same issue, all using the same service, all with vista, and each can only access their homepage sites.. one guy yahoo, me customcockers, and my dad is the local school system web site..
I can do whatever I want on customcockers. but can't access anything else on the web..

Kmac

k.macocker
12-04-2007, 03:30 AM
Well, seems to have fixed itself..
that is so weird.
thanks for the help guys..
Kmac

MicroViper
12-04-2007, 04:16 AM
I have Verizon DSL service, and sometimes their DNS service goes down, and I'm only able to get to stuff by IP also, its sounding more like an issue on their end with 3 different computers in 3 different locations doing the same thing.

Bingo. DNS was down.

Computers and websites by nature work off of IP (Internet Protocol) addresses. It like a phone number for a computer. For a computer to find another you have to have the right number. Someone got smart and figured out that words are easier for people to remember then long numbers like 82.165.140.169 (the "phone number" for customcockers.com). There are special servers called DNS (domain name server) that pair up the words we know as domain names with the addresses (or IP's) of the sites we want to visit. When you type customcockers.com your computer ask's a DNS computer, "hey, whats the number for that site?" In reply, it sends you here.

Computer lession for the day.

MV

!BuNkEr!BuStEr!
12-04-2007, 05:10 PM
the gnomes kmac, the gnomes.

Zipity_Bop
12-11-2007, 01:29 PM
my friend has vista and fios... whenever he gets online nfl.com pops up but when you go to other sites i get tehe white and blue internet explorer error...... but if i enter the site again it goes?

PsYcHoHoLiC
12-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Now that it is fixed install Firefox and if it happens again you have something to try besides IE..
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
And Vista could have been the culprit does it update on its own or do you have to apply the updates?

k.macocker
12-11-2007, 05:20 PM
I believe vista is designed to continuously update itself from what I understand. so they can monitor your every move.. :mad:

Now that it is fixed install Firefox and if it happens again you have something to try besides IE..
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
And Vista could have been the culprit does it update on its own or do you have to apply the updates?