PDA

View Full Version : Another school shooting

Wolf13
02-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Damn, yet another school shooting, this time at Northren IL University. This one just a little ways away from where I work. i actually go by the hospital on my way to and from work normally; Had to pull over for three ambulances. I was really worried when I heard the news, because I know a few of the Geology dept Prof's from work.

I know theres at least one member here from that school.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/14/university.shooting/index.html

/looks like the toll is now at five + the shooter dead. you have to be a real sicko to do this.

Listessa
02-14-2008, 11:28 PM
You're kidding! That's terrible.

My heart goes out to people who attend or work at the schools. It's a pity when things like this happen. :(

Andrewliu6294
02-15-2008, 12:20 AM
I don't understand what drives kids to this point where they go suicidal, and decide they need to take other people with them.

I'm a sophmore in highschool myself. This sickens me, along with all the other school shootings. I know last year at my school, there were a couple brutal fights. I believe a gun was found but not used in one of them. Thank god nobody got shot.

The fact that this could happen anytime, anywhere... :eek:

jamrens
02-15-2008, 12:27 AM
this is why they shold let ppl with ccl to carry at school, you whould think that after vt that congress whould pay attention,

chrisshanks
02-15-2008, 01:56 AM
I hate these things when they happen

I have always felt that kids in school today have it bad & are wound too friggin' tight

they are told in many different ways by everyone in authority around them " graduate, or else you'll end up alone & dead" or "if you don't succeed at school, you'll end up like some bum, drunk & dead". This stuff is beaten into them every day, ALL day... I'd snap easily too

at the time in their lives when they are making choices that will impact how they do things in habit for the majority of their lives & not to mention the HUGE amount of hormone level they have to deal with (themselves & others) while not even understanding the ways of the world yet...

... & by the time they're in their Junior year in highschool, they are Pushed, pushed & pushed into finding & deciding on a college that will birth their choice in career, again, for the rest of their life... again, with out even having the chance to decently tryout some of the possible career choices...

yah, I'd snap too... it would only take something little to set me of If I had to deal with all that while trying to manage some low self-esteem issues too

I feel severe sympathy for the children, the parents, the faculty... everyone for EVERY time these things occur

can't we just find some way to help them relax & not put so much pressure on them

my heart broken 2 pennies

-chris

gatewaypaintball.com
02-15-2008, 02:09 AM
this is why they shold let ppl with ccl to carry at school, you whould think that after vt that congress whould pay attention,

Amen. But the libs say that guns promote violence. If someone would have been carrying, there's a good chance the shooter would be dead and some lives could have been saved. That's not how this will go down though. Guns will be blamed as usual because everyone knows guns are inherently violent.

Its a shame.

I hate these things when they happen

I have always felt that kids in school today have it bad & are wound too friggin' tight

they are told in many different ways by everyone in authority around them " graduate, or else you'll end up alone & dead" or "if you don't suceed at school, you'll end up like some bum, drunk & dead". This stuff is beaten into them every day, ALL day... I'd snap easily too

at the time when they are making choices that will impact how they do things in habit for the majority of their lives & not to meniton the HUGE amount of hormone level they have to deal with (themselves & others) while not even understanding the wasy of the world yet...

... & by the time they're in their Junior year in school, they are Pushed, pushed & pushed into fiding & deciding on a college that will birth their choice in career, again, for the rest of their life... again, with out even having the chance to decently tryout some of the possible career choices...

yah, I'd snap... it would only take something little to set me of If I had to deal with all that while trying to manage some low self-esteem issues too

I feel severe sympathy for the children, the parents, the faculty... everyone for EVERY time these things occur

can't we just find some way to help them relax & not put so much pressure on them

my heart broken 2 pennies

-chris

I totally disagree. No one ever said life is easy. You have to work to get anywhere and instead of raising our children to be self reliant and hard working, they are taught that they are special and are intitled to things. They are set up for failure from the beginning. I think the way kids act and react these days are a direct result of their upbringing. Children today (for the most part) are taught to respect nothing and put themselves above everything else. There is no personal accountability and if a kid has problems, he blames everyone else. If you look at the kids who came up in the 30's and 40's, they were taught to work for everything they got and appreciate everything. Kids today get anything they want and are so used to instant gratification and people or computers solving their problems, that when they are confronted with a problem, they don't know how to react. So when kids get called names, bullied, or feel as if some one has disrespected them, (how dare they) they overload, and think they have no other choice than to do things like this. To "teach the world a lesson" that they shouldn't have messed with this particualr individual. Society is definatley going down the crapper.

Tesko
02-15-2008, 07:03 PM
I totally disagree. No one ever said life is easy. You have to work to get anywhere and instead of raising our children to be self reliant and hard working, they are taught that they are special and are intitled to things. They are set up for failure from the beginning. I think the way kids act and react these days are a direct result of their upbringing. Children today (for the most part) are taught to respect nothing and put themselves above everything else. There is no personal accountability and if a kid has problems, he blames everyone else. If you look at the kids who came up in the 30's and 40's, they were taught to work for everything they got and appreciate everything. Kids today get anything they want and are so used to instant gratification and people or computers solving their problems, that when they are confronted with a problem, they don't know how to react. So when kids get called names, bullied, or feel as if some one has disrespected them, (how dare they) they overload, and think they have no other choice than to do things like this. To "teach the world a lesson" that they shouldn't have messed with this particualr individual. Society is definatley going down the crapper.

Oh yea? THAT generation is what our governments and politicians are made up of, and looks where that's left us. There is good with bad in any and every generation, dont presume that the current "college" generation will be any different.

Face it, every generation is considered to be going astray and morally bankrupt by the previous one, and then that very generation displays the same concerns toward the next.

We're all just getting older and senile in my view.

If this generation doesn't start any Crusades or Holocausts then im content.

With that said, it's a sad thing that happened, my heart goes out to the families.

k.macocker
02-15-2008, 07:15 PM
I don't see blaming the gov't, collage, or anyone else outside the home or that individual that did the shooting!!

look at ourselves before blaming others..
Kmac

Whodat1004
02-15-2008, 07:29 PM
I don't see blaming the gov't, collage, or anyone else outside the home or that individual that did the shooting!!

look at ourselves before blaming others..
Kmac

Agreed, be the change you want to see in the world.

I heard something that about a bill trying to be passed in Arizona that would allow teachers and students to carry concealed weapons. Being a red state, I guess we will see what happens; however, I definitely don't trust every frat guy to conceal a weapon.

Listessa
02-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Keep in mind, every state other than AK and VT require people who carry concealed to have a special permit, even then they must obay rules of different places (like schools and federal buildings) which do not allow it at all.
So, unless you mean AZ is going to let anyone carry concealed without permit, which is not how I read your post about the bill - most likely every frat guy will NOT be carrying.

Also, I know using a firearm under the influence of alcohol or drugs is an offence that bears far more harsh consequences than most offences out there.

On the thought of firearms on campus:
A gun show is hosted on the UAF campus in one of sports centers. I just find that amusing considering the thoughts about carrying on campus. Also, the UAF indoor shooting range (rifle team's practice area) is in the bottom floor of one of the other buildings.

mxmtl
02-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Don't need more weapons, we just need to stop being so self centered and start caring about other people instead of just ourselves. Stuff like this happens because whoever had the opportunity to reach out and help, or whoever was responsible to impart positive influence failed to do so.

About a year ago, a family friend of ours became a victim to some crazy dude who went to the mall during the Christmas shopping season with a meat cleaver after a fight with his mom. From what I heard, that crazy dude happen to pick him and started attacking him with a knife. He was screaming for help, but no one came and helped him. People just watched.

Listessa
02-15-2008, 09:27 PM
That's frightening. I wonder if the people watching have become so accustomed to watching things like that on TV that they stood back, or if they were too shocked.

jamrens
02-15-2008, 09:56 PM
all i have got to say is i graduated high school in 2002 and i lived in a small town but even we had a armed security guard. Not that this is a pro gun post i feel for the ppl that wer affected by this idiot, but in sweeden it is law that a man must have a firearm on him at all times, if there was more than 1 person at that school with a firearm there whouldnt have been as many deaths. not saying that it whold have prevented it but it whould have cut down on the death count. i will keep thes ppl in my prayers.

WhIt

WarHamster
02-16-2008, 01:27 AM
This ought to make all of you nice and sick. Anybody remember that extremely anti-gay church that does all the protests (Heath Ledger's funeral most recently for playing a gay man in Brokeback Mountain).

Check out their reaction to the Northern shooting...
http://www.godhatesfags.com/written/fliers/20080214_northern-illinois-university-shooter.pdf
That's right, they're protesting the funerals of the students shot at Northern because they feel the shootings were God's vengence on America for persecuting their church.

Now I generally take the stance that all human life has value, and no one deserves to die no matter how despicable the person may be (because if you don't draw the line there, what seperates you from them). This church really really tests that philosophy of mine, however.

audiopro74
02-16-2008, 01:37 AM
^^^ Ya know, I bet karma has some really cool stuff, saved up over centuries, for those freaks...

RavagersTC
02-16-2008, 03:01 AM
I don't understand what drives kids to this point where they go suicidal, and decide they need to take other people with them.

I'm a sophmore in highschool myself. This sickens me, along with all the other school shootings. I know last year at my school, there were a couple brutal fights. I believe a gun was found but not used in one of them. Thank god nobody got shot.

The fact that this could happen anytime, anywhere... :eek:

You would be surprised. Everyone has a breaking point, some shorter than others. And no one knows about everything that goes on in someone else's life.

Still wrong though. If you hate life that much, don't make someone else hate it as much as you. But you know what they say, misery likes company.

Wolf13
02-16-2008, 03:19 AM
That's frightening. I wonder if the people watching have become so accustomed to watching things like that on TV that they stood back, or if they were too shocked.

I've never been in there, but according to a gal i talked to today that had had classes in that room, theres only two double doors to get out. It would have been a mad stampede. According to the news report though, there was an armed guard nearby and they estimate he got there in under 30 secounds.