PDA

View Full Version : story time!

Cossar
02-27-2008, 03:28 AM
Hey vant, after looking through this thread (http://customcockers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2750&) again, kmac said you ran freeflow out of business. just wondering what the story is behind this?

JonoTwisT
02-28-2008, 08:19 PM
i too am interested, storytime.

k.macocker
02-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Hey vant, after looking through this thread (http://customcockers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2750&) again, kmac said you ran freeflow out of business. just wondering what the story is behind this?

not really true, they did it themselves, but he had strong discussions with the owner back on Air-powered.com and it wasn't much later they shut down and we sort of jokingly accused vant of running them out of business.
I'll leave it to van tell the full story on the "strong discussions" though..
Kmac

russc
02-29-2008, 03:59 AM
the thing about the tungsten hammers?

Vantrepes
02-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Short version:
Ethan lied.
I called him on it, with proof.
He lied some more.
I, and others, called him on it some more.
He lied some more, and pretty much insulted the intelligence of everyone on AIR with his explanations.
I, and others, called him on it again.
Free Flow was sold, then closed soon after.

k.macocker
02-29-2008, 11:54 PM

that was the main thing..
Kmac

Whodat1004
03-01-2008, 12:18 AM
God I still have nightmares about the pictures of the bottom tubes. Please don't ever, ever post those again!

Vantrepes
03-01-2008, 09:46 AM
I am pretty sure they are still on my server....
Oh, look at that, they are!
http://www.moodypaintball.com/hammer/box2.jpg

http://www.moodypaintball.com/hammer/hammerdamage1.JPG

rtfd262
07-22-2008, 05:44 PM

that was the main thing..
Kmac

What was the deal with that? From what I can gather that was all back before I started playing with a cocker. From what I've seen though it halfway sounds like the low pressure "scam" with smart parts and the early shockers.

I figure there has to be at least one person here that could shed some light on that for me.

My appologies for mentioning those that shall not be named if it offends anyone.

Vantrepes
07-22-2008, 10:44 PM
A very heavy hammer allows for a very light main spring. They got as heavy as they could with steel, so they tried tungsten. It worked, but tungsten is hard material that doesn't polish well, so they left the hammer surface rough, and it was chewing up the body of the guns.

lsongj721
07-22-2008, 10:50 PM
well...it sounds like it coulda worked, but would require insane amount of lube.

I had a couple of nic-nac tungsten bearings before. Jesus they were heavy!

Well...what woulda been better if they had a tungsten core with an aluminum outside or maybe if it had a delrin sleeve around it. That would work beautifully i would think.

Of course i have no idea what you guys are talking about...so maybe i should stop talking...

Vantrepes
07-22-2008, 11:21 PM
I played with a tungsten/delrin hammer for a while, and all of the projections I did showed it would have been about the same as the normal steel hammers. Even using a very thin delrin sleeve, it would have been about 7 grams heavier than a stock hammer, and cost 10 times as much. Of course, that idea never got beyond the design board because of the lack of improvement. Even a steel sleeve would have only been about 8.5 grams heavier than a stock hammer.
Aluminum wouldn't have been a good choice for a sleeve, since it tends to gall when rubbed against another aluminum part. Ask any one who has used an aluminum bolt.

lsongj721
07-22-2008, 11:26 PM
I played with a tungsten/delrin hammer for a while, and all of the projections I did showed it would have been about the same as the normal steel hammers. Even using a very thin delrin sleeve, it would have been about 7 grams heavier than a stock hammer, and cost 10 times as much. Of course, that idea never got beyond the design board because of the lack of improvement. Even a steel sleeve would have only been about 8.5 grams heavier than a stock hammer.
Aluminum wouldn't have been a good choice for a sleeve, since it tends to gall when rubbed against another aluminum part. Ask any one who has used an aluminum bolt.

lol *raises hand* Guilty.

But ya, i mean 7 grams is still pretty good! Course...what would the cost be of the tungsten hammer...lol like $100? absurd. But surely the drag coefficient of the delrin would do a little.

rtfd262
07-23-2008, 12:01 AM
lol *raises hand* Guilty.

But ya, i mean 7 grams is still pretty good! Course...what would the cost be of the tungsten hammer...lol like $100? absurd. But surely the drag coefficient of the delrin would do a little.

Yeah tungsten is never cheap:mad:. You'd really have to weigh the benefits of the added mass to the cost. But if you know someone with a machine shop who has the cutting bits to work with tungsten then they could definitely make one cheaper than you could ever buy one.

Of course you could just try to find a balls to the wall polishing compound and sit there hand polishing it for a week or so.