PDA

View Full Version : Dale Earnhardt Sr.

dave88ia
03-23-2008, 12:17 PM
are there any fans of the old intimadator in here? collectors of earnhardt stuff?

anybody see him race?

i have got boxes of stuff of just dale sr. :D

since then (01) i think i have moved to dale jr.

---- :mad: but y does gordon have to be on his team rotflrotfl

RavagersTC
03-23-2008, 03:14 PM
---- :mad: but y does gordon have to be on his team rotflrotfl

Hey now....

Gordon's the closest one to tieing him and petty.

dave88ia
03-23-2008, 07:08 PM
maybe maybe but its still JEFF GORDON rotfl

Diveanx
03-24-2008, 11:08 AM
I am from Va and I have been involved with racing and Nascar my whole life. I grew up racing Late Models with Jeff and Ward Burton, Hermie and Elliot Sadler and of course Dale Jr and his sister and brother.

I met Dale Sr at Richmond in 1979 at his very first Winston Cup race. He was friends with a local driver named Lenny Pond (which held the speed record at Talladaga for many years until Bill Elliot broke it in 1994). I went to school with Lenny's sons plus I raced motorcycles at the time and I was in the parade at the beginning of the race because I won my class championship the year prior.We used to race on the infield of the Old Richmond Track.

I have been to Dale Sr.s house and he was always a super nice guy as long as you didnt talk racing at his home. You could talk about anything else like fishing or hunting or even his love of tearing down things with his bull dozer but racing was off limits.

I have known Dale Jr since he was about 4 ft talk LOL I used to watch his sister put him in the wall at Orange County Speedway just to hear him cry LOL

I have some very old Dale Sr. stuff that I would never part with but the one thing I will never forget was being in the pits the day he died.

I was on Kenny Wallace's pit crew when he first started racing in the Cup series plus my cousin is the general manager of Atlanta Motor Speedway so I still have connections to get into races LOL but I was in the pits when it happened and Ken Shrader came down into the pits after looking into Dales car and he was white as a ghost and we knew something bad was wrong.

I followed Dales career from being at the track and when I quite working on race cars. He was an awesome person to talk to and he would always help as long as you didnt act like an ass. The way he was portrayed was a tough mean person but he wasnt. That was more marketing then anything but the man could drive.

Before they changed to radial tires No One was better. It took him a while to change his style to get his car working like he liked it after the tired change and thats when they started dominating super speedways.

In my opinion there will never be another like him. He changed the way people look at racing and other then the King Richard Petty he will be one of the most popular and the most widely know person in Nascar that the sport will ever see.

I mean he has been dead for 4 years now and you can still buy his stuff like he was alive and still racing. Many drivers have either quite the sport or have passed away (Neil Bonnet, Davey Allison and many others) and you cant find any of their stuff so Dale is a legend and always will be.

He was a tough racer but he was also a simple man that made his why the hard way. He had an incredible knack for getting a feel for a person just by looking at them.

I felt really bad for Jr after he died because all that burden fell right on his shoulders and as far as I am concerned I cant believe he did as well as he did.

It was sad the day Jr left DEI because that company was built for Dales kids to carry on the legacy of Dale Sr. I know he is doing well at Hendrick Motor Sports now (better then Johnson and Gordon) but I do feel in the future he will return home and make DEI the dominating team that his dad would have wanted it to be. Dale was never a loser he was always a fighter and he would do what ever it took to make something happen.

I remember when he was running for the championship many years ago and he broke a cam shaft at Charlotte and he got out of the car and helped them change the cam shaft on the car and only lost like 25 laps and went on to win the championship that year.

Some people didnt like him because he drove rough but I am sorry, there were alot of drivers that were just as bad if not worse but they were not in the limelight as much as Dale so it was never really talked about.

Rusty Wallace, Ernie Irwin, Morgan Sheppard, Cale Yarbourgh, David Person. Just to name a few. Alot of you younger guys may not even know who these drivers are but they are the ones that help get this great sport of Nascar to where it is today.

Thats when you could race and then get out in the pits and have a big fight and then go have a beer when it was all over with and Nascar didnt care.

AAAHHHH The good Ole Days LOL Im telling my age now.

k.macocker
03-24-2008, 05:04 PM
what I remember is how he intentionally put Terry Labonte (spelling) into the wall, after Terry was passing cars right and left. and I am not a TL fan either. No doubt Sr. was an excellent driver and a major impact for nascar. But I do believe the rules were bent/ignored for him at times (as well as others). Not to take away from his accomplishments. but to intentionally ram another car in the rear end for your breaking into a curve and send him in the wall.. well I just don't agree with it. Rubbing is racing, but slamming into someone is not. Thing is I'm not a Nascar fan or hater. But I live in 'Nascar country" lol, so I don't really have a choice to know a few things about it.
May Dale Sr. rest in peace and I am not bad mouthing him, just nascar for not being equal.
But we should give props to those that truely premote their sport (Kyle Petty, Mark Martin, etc.). Kyle petty does more for giving back than most anyone.. besides the fact he only won 1 race.. lol..
Kmac

Diveanx
03-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I was at that race and it was kind of fishy but I can name 10 other drivers that have done the same thing LOL and it has been done to Dale as well.

At that point in time in racing it was a transition period from the good ole days when we could fight in the infield and get away with it to worrying about what the public seen.

It was just easy to point the finger at Dale during that time and the thing was they knew it didnt matter to him. He just loved to race.

Nascar has bent the rules for every major driver that has ever been around and they still do. That is one of the reasons I am glad I am not in it anymore.

I am sorry but Nascar should have blasted Tony Stewart from ragging Goodyear a couple of weeks ago. That was uncalled for.

Other drivers agreed that the tires were not that great but you didnt hear them tell the whole world that they were going to go home and drive to the Firestone dealership and have the Goodyears taken off their personal cars LOL

That was ridiculous but again that is racing these days. Its alot easier to watch it from my living room. The beer is colder and cheaper and there is no waiting line for the bathroom LOL

k.macocker
03-24-2008, 07:57 PM
yea, agree on the transition of old to new ways..

I find it funny that America makes heros out of the Arse hole in a sport.

Most rude basketball players, sean kemp, rodman, etc..
Wrestling, UFC, football, etc.. we make a hero on ability, not the person behind on the ability. Which says a lot for who we are..
sorry, way off topic.

It was a sad day indeed when Sr. died. Then waldrop won his first race, short lived celebration. That had to be an emotional roller coaster. happiest day to one of his saddest days..
Kmac

dave88ia
03-25-2008, 10:08 AM
yea, agree on the transition of old to new ways..

I find it funny that America makes heros out of the Arse hole in a sport.

Most rude basketball players, sean kemp, rodman, etc..
Wrestling, UFC, football, etc.. we make a hero on ability, not the person behind on the ability. Which says a lot for who we are..
sorry, way off topic.

Kmac

rotfl so true....

dave88ia
03-25-2008, 10:10 AM
I am from Va and I have been involved with racing and Nascar my whole life. I grew up racing Late Models with Jeff and Ward Burton, Hermie and Elliot Sadler and of course Dale Jr and his sister and brother.

I met Dale Sr at Richmond in 1979 at his very first Winston Cup race. He was friends with a local driver named Lenny Pond (which held the speed record at Talladaga for many years until Bill Elliot broke it in 1994). I went to school with Lenny's sons plus I raced motorcycles at the time and I was in the parade at the beginning of the race because I won my class championship the year prior.We used to race on the infield of the Old Richmond Track.

I have been to Dale Sr.s house and he was always a super nice guy as long as you didnt talk racing at his home. You could talk about anything else like fishing or hunting or even his love of tearing down things with his bull dozer but racing was off limits.

I have known Dale Jr since he was about 4 ft talk LOL I used to watch his sister put him in the wall at Orange County Speedway just to hear him cry LOL

I have some very old Dale Sr. stuff that I would never part with but the one thing I will never forget was being in the pits the day he died.

I was on Kenny Wallace's pit crew when he first started racing in the Cup series plus my cousin is the general manager of Atlanta Motor Speedway so I still have connections to get into races LOL but I was in the pits when it happened and Ken Shrader came down into the pits after looking into Dales car and he was white as a ghost and we knew something bad was wrong.

I followed Dales career from being at the track and when I quite working on race cars. He was an awesome person to talk to and he would always help as long as you didnt act like an ass. The way he was portrayed was a tough mean person but he wasnt. That was more marketing then anything but the man could drive.

Before they changed to radial tires No One was better. It took him a while to change his style to get his car working like he liked it after the tired change and thats when they started dominating super speedways.

In my opinion there will never be another like him. He changed the way people look at racing and other then the King Richard Petty he will be one of the most popular and the most widely know person in Nascar that the sport will ever see.

I mean he has been dead for 4 years now and you can still buy his stuff like he was alive and still racing. Many drivers have either quite the sport or have passed away (Neil Bonnet, Davey Allison and many others) and you cant find any of their stuff so Dale is a legend and always will be.

He was a tough racer but he was also a simple man that made his why the hard way. He had an incredible knack for getting a feel for a person just by looking at them.

I felt really bad for Jr after he died because all that burden fell right on his shoulders and as far as I am concerned I cant believe he did as well as he did.

It was sad the day Jr left DEI because that company was built for Dales kids to carry on the legacy of Dale Sr. I know he is doing well at Hendrick Motor Sports now (better then Johnson and Gordon) but I do feel in the future he will return home and make DEI the dominating team that his dad would have wanted it to be. Dale was never a loser he was always a fighter and he would do what ever it took to make something happen.

I remember when he was running for the championship many years ago and he broke a cam shaft at Charlotte and he got out of the car and helped them change the cam shaft on the car and only lost like 25 laps and went on to win the championship that year.

Some people didnt like him because he drove rough but I am sorry, there were alot of drivers that were just as bad if not worse but they were not in the limelight as much as Dale so it was never really talked about.

Rusty Wallace, Ernie Irwin, Morgan Sheppard, Cale Yarbourgh, David Person. Just to name a few. Alot of you younger guys may not even know who these drivers are but they are the ones that help get this great sport of Nascar to where it is today.

Thats when you could race and then get out in the pits and have a big fight and then go have a beer when it was all over with and Nascar didnt care.

AAAHHHH The good Ole Days LOL Im telling my age now.

u even knew him :eek: thats awsome.... thats awsome u got to race w/ a bunch of them.. that would be kool to have done!!

dave88ia
03-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Kyle petty does more for giving back than most anyone.. besides the fact he only won 1 race.. lol..
Kmac

wait...... kyle petty has only won 1 race in his career? :eek: damn!!

audiopro74
03-26-2008, 02:30 AM
All I know is that my shooting bag is solid black, with a big 3 on the side, and you can pry it from my cold dead fingers............. It is great to see 2 mods disagree, and keep it the way it should be. We all don't have to agree. I have been watching cars go fast, since i was a wee tyke. A.J.Foyte was my childhood hero. "Showing my age too..."Sr was a driver, so is Jr, although not Quite his Ol-Man yet. I think that all drivers have the rules bent for them once in a while. But... I cannot wait for that bloodsucking wh**e of an X-Wife to fall off the face of the earth, so the kid can have his birthright.... My poor humble opinion.

dave88ia
03-27-2008, 06:58 AM
yea i hear u there... teresa has messed up alot on that team, once shes gone dale jr. will get what he deserves as his son, shes just greedy... spending money on things they dont need, she dont know what the heck to do haha....

k.macocker
03-27-2008, 02:52 PM
wait...... kyle petty has only won 1 race in his career? :eek: damn!!
according to my nascar friend.. lol. that is not including any series but nascar (not bush etc..)

It is great to see 2 mods disagree, and keep it the way it should be. We all don't have to agree.
It's like a marriage, you won't agree on everything, so you agree on the fact that you disagree.. :D and move on.
I respect Dive..
Kmac

dave88ia
03-27-2008, 06:33 PM
wow, that is wow.. haha