PDA

View Full Version : earthquake

dave88ia
04-18-2008, 03:27 PM
well here i am sitting playing my ps2 between 4:30am-5:00am and i hear my house and things shake, and then feel it a lil bit for maybe 5 sec. and done... was on the radio that it was an earthquake.... wasnt big, but u could hear shaking... i was just sitting there playing along and like wtf was that rotfl

idk if it was an earthquake or just shock waves from 1, as they didnt say on the radio, they just said small earthquake

and whatever the earth plates r called... the 1's that when they hit pow an earthquake.... but yea, we have w/e set here in my town, right under railroad tracks and idk maybe 10 blocks from my house

i dont like that, if those ever hit, my town will be hurt lol... cuz its almost in the middle

Wolf13
04-18-2008, 03:40 PM
5.2 in souther IL, it was what you felt. A big deal here in the midwest, pretty ho hum for the east coast guys I am sure. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080418/ap_on_re_us/midwest_earthquake

It was an extension of the New madrid fault, which hopefully won't go anytime soon, but is possibly due. that was the one that devestated southern IL in 1811-1812 with 7.0's and has th epotential to produce even larger and is supposidly on a 200 or so year cycle.

dave88ia
04-18-2008, 03:54 PM
wow... so if that 1 goes i will feel more than what i did today...i remember hearing about the 7.0's in ill. in school.... haha well what they said was happin, the house shaking and all that, was exactly what i felt

haxorwear
04-18-2008, 06:54 PM
I think the real question here is....

what were you playing at 5am? LOL

darkangel
04-18-2008, 07:41 PM
5.2 in souther IL, it was what you felt. A big deal here in the midwest, pretty ho hum for the east coast guys I am sure. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080418/ap_on_re_us/midwest_earthquake

It was an extension of the New madrid fault, which hopefully won't go anytime soon, but is possibly due. that was the one that devestated southern IL in 1811-1812 with 7.0's and has th epotential to produce even larger and is supposidly on a 200 or so year cycle.

I slept right through it. Alarm went off at 5AM and I had no idea until I got to work and checked the news.

There was another, smaller one at 10:14 this morning too. I was walking around the office and didn't feel it.

dave88ia
04-18-2008, 08:24 PM
I think the real question here is....

what were you playing at 5am? LOL

final fantasy 12 :cool:

pummel u
04-18-2008, 10:38 PM
I slept right through it. Alarm went off at 5AM and I had no idea until I got to work and checked the news.I was sawing logs also.

There was another, smaller one at 10:14 this morning too. I was walking around the office and didn't feel it. I was in my anatomy lab disecting a cat when that one went through, yet again I didnt feel it either. Everyone was making a big whoop out of it, the lab instructor was exstatic, and I was bewildered. Maybe I should have turned my mp3 down alittle:confused:

RavagersTC
04-19-2008, 01:34 AM
Plate tectonics are a rather interesting subject. I know that in or near NY there are some fault lines that have been inactive for a long time, but if they were to start up again, we're in a danger zone of 3, which is the worst. Earthquake danger zones are based off the number of people in the area, and the potential size of the earthquakes in that area on the richter scale. So while it's inactive, the possibility of a big quake in a state with so many people makes it seem bad.

Fun stuff. This made me look up natural disasters, and this is what I got, funny in a satirical sense.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.11/start.html?pg=20

dave88ia
04-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Plate tectonics are a rather interesting subject. I know that in or near NY there are some fault lines that have been inactive for a long time, but if they were to start up again, we're in a danger zone of 3, which is the worst. Earthquake danger zones are based off the number of people in the area, and the potential size of the earthquakes in that area on the richter scale. So while it's inactive, the possibility of a big quake in a state with so many people makes it seem bad.

Fun stuff. This made me look up natural disasters, and this is what I got, funny in a satirical sense.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.11/start.html?pg=20

i agree, i thought they were always interesting to learn/talk about.... crazy how much damage it can cause tho

that site there has sum interesting ideas of what could possibly happen... i know im not moving ne where close to anything haha... try not to..

k.macocker
04-19-2008, 08:37 PM
was laying in bed half asleep, felt it. first thought was earthquake, then thought tornado (since I live within 2 miles of those that hit 2 years ago in the national news). Jumped up, by then it was over, lol. turned on the news, within 2 mins the said they were getting reports of an earthquake from callers. Within 10 mins they confirmed it..
Kmac

Altec
04-21-2008, 01:35 AM
We had one in Maryland a couple years back. Go figure...