PDA

View Full Version : screwed by PayPal

RavagersTC
06-18-2008, 07:33 PM
I accrued 6 overdrafts using my paypal debit card, which actually is illegal for me to own since I'm a minor and my dad didn't cosign onto the card. They said they will try to get each amount twice, resulting in 12 charges, so far I have 16. I get a 32 dollar charge from my bank for each over draft, leaving me right now negative 470 and some change. I'm in the process of filing a complaint with the attorney general. Last night a representative told me that they would keep trying to get the money since they have to pay the merchants. But here's what gets me. My paypal account is negative, for the amount I owe them. So they first took the money out of my account (like credit, they paid the merchants, and I would have to reimburse them) and then tried to take money out of my bank account.

I told them they would have to reimburse me for the 4 charges I don't deserve, at the very least, but because it was illegal for me to have the card, that I was calling the attorney general. And they said "Well that is of course one of your options, thank you for calling paypal."

Here's another thing. When I inquired about my card being illegal. They said in the end user license agreement that I agree I'm 18 and they assume so unless given reason to believe otherwise. Well, I have to verify my bank account with them, and that would give them all that information, would it not?

Better yet, they closed my card on me at least 2 days ago, and still are charging me. And have kept my account open, even though I'm a minor and I'm not supposed to have it.

Any thoughts on what to do? I printed out my entire account history from both my bank AND paypal, along with all the overdraft inquiries my banker gave me, and I'm waiting for the complaint form from the NYS Attorney Generals Office. I'm supposed to fill it out and give them all of the information I can.

This blows, I'm 17, I don't have near 500 dollars to put in there, and for every 5 days its negative, they tack on ANOTHER 10 dollars. Wtf.....

Cocker Master
06-18-2008, 07:46 PM
sounds like we have the same bank, if you goin into the bank itself and ask to talk with a personal banker, usually they will help you with the situation ( I got my charges reimbursed)

haxorwear
06-18-2008, 08:17 PM
First, let me preface this with: You probably won't like what you are about to read/hear. I'm a very forward person, and I'm giving you an outside view/opinion on what you just wrote up here. Don't get pissed at me, don't start a post-war... just read it, understand that I'm trying to help you help us understand your situation, and give you some advice/reality checks.

I accrued 6 overdrafts using my paypal debit card, which actually is illegal for me to own since I'm a minor and my dad didn't cosign onto the card.

How were the overdrafts accrued?

They said they will try to get each amount twice, resulting in 12 charges, so far I have 16. I get a 32 dollar charge from my bank for each over draft, leaving me right now negative 470 and some change.

They have the right to attempt to retrieve the funds you spent using their service but couldn't back. They won't try to get 2x the amount of each purchase... there's no legal precedent.

I'm in the process of filing a complaint with the attorney general. Last night a representative told me that they would keep trying to get the money since they have to pay the merchants. But here's what gets me. My paypal account is negative, for the amount I owe them. So they first took the money out of my account (like credit, they paid the merchants, and I would have to reimburse them) and then tried to take money out of my bank account.

So you had enough money in your paypal account to cover paying all the merchants? That doesn't make sense. You only go negative if you spend more than you have funded into the account.

I told them they would have to reimburse me for the 4 charges I don't deserve, at the very least, but because it was illegal for me to have the card, that I was calling the attorney general. And they said "Well that is of course one of your options, thank you for calling paypal."

Not trying to be rude, but this is the stupidest defense ever. You sign up for a card, agree to the terms and conditions (which state that you certify that you are 18 or older), use the card and run up a bunch of charges, and then want to bail out of your obligations because you either don't have the money or don't want to pay. They aren't responsible because you falsified paperwork in order to get yourself a card. In fact, they now have some legal traction to put you into a lot of hot water.

Here's another thing. When I inquired about my card being illegal. They said in the end user license agreement that I agree I'm 18 and they assume so unless given reason to believe otherwise. Well, I have to verify my bank account with them, and that would give them all that information, would it not?

The only thing they get when your bank "verifies" your account is authorization to debit or credit it. It's 99% electronic and the bank is not allowed (under regulations) to pass on any of your personal information. Think of it as a privacy act.

Better yet, they closed my card on me at least 2 days ago, and still are charging me. And have kept my account open, even though I'm a minor and I'm not supposed to have it.

They cut you off because you've racked up charges and not paid. They have to protect themselves, the merchants, the people who make their livelyhood by selling goods and services online, and every other user out there who actually abides by their agreements. Your paypal account has nothing to do with being 18... anyone can have one that has a bank account. The credit/debit card, however, does have restrictions.

Any thoughts on what to do? I printed out my entire account history from both my bank AND paypal, along with all the overdraft inquiries my banker gave me, and I'm waiting for the complaint form from the NYS Attorney Generals Office. I'm supposed to fill it out and give them all of the information I can. This blows, I'm 17, I don't have near 500 dollars to put in there, and for every 5 days its negative, they tack on ANOTHER 10 dollars. Wtf.....

Here's a life lesson... step up, pay your bills, and move on. This is your first glimpse into what happens when you spend more than you earn/have. You go into debt, people treat you poorly until you pay up, and you potentially even go to court. You seemingly admit in this whole writeup that you agree to at least several of the overdraft charges, which makes me think you probably had part in each additional charge in some way.

If you are willing to openly discuss it, post up each charge (redacting the amounts if you want) to show us some supporting evidence... otherwise I think your cry of outrage is falling on deaf ears here. Most of us are tax-paying, hard-working, and law-abiding citizens. I won't speak for everyone, but this "it's everyones fault but mine" attitude has worn out its welcome in America. Welcome to the real world.

drg
06-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Paypal screwed you? No, you screwed yourself (by trying to screw with them, it sounds like).

Bulldog
06-18-2008, 08:59 PM
OK, ok lets keep it clean. Stop making work for me, now I gotta clean up some posts.

DocRock
06-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Do yourself a favor. Pay off your debts. If PP screwed up a bank or a lawyer can help you get around those but you over drafted on purpose by the sounds of your post.

The last thing you need to do is start your adult life with a mark like that. Its hard enough earning a good credit rating without having something like this on your financial record.

RavagersTC
06-18-2008, 10:24 PM
First, let me preface this with: You probably won't like what you are about to read/hear. I'm a very forward person, and I'm giving you an outside view/opinion on what you just wrote up here. Don't get pissed at me, don't start a post-war... just read it, understand that I'm trying to help you help us understand your situation, and give you some advice/reality checks.

How were the overdrafts accrued?

They have the right to attempt to retrieve the funds you spent using their service but couldn't back. They won't try to get 2x the amount of each purchase... there's no legal precedent.

So you had enough money in your paypal account to cover paying all the merchants? That doesn't make sense. You only go negative if you spend more than you have funded into the account.

Not trying to be rude, but this is the stupidest defense ever. You sign up for a card, agree to the terms and conditions (which state that you certify that you are 18 or older), use the card and run up a bunch of charges, and then want to bail out of your obligations because you either don't have the money or don't want to pay. They aren't responsible because you falsified paperwork in order to get yourself a card. In fact, they now have some legal traction to put you into a lot of hot water.

The only thing they get when your bank "verifies" your account is authorization to debit or credit it. It's 99% electronic and the bank is not allowed (under regulations) to pass on any of your personal information. Think of it as a privacy act.

They cut you off because you've racked up charges and not paid. They have to protect themselves, the merchants, the people who make their livelyhood by selling goods and services online, and every other user out there who actually abides by their agreements. Your paypal account has nothing to do with being 18... anyone can have one that has a bank account. The credit/debit card, however, does have restrictions.

Here's a life lesson... step up, pay your bills, and move on. This is your first glimpse into what happens when you spend more than you earn/have. You go into debt, people treat you poorly until you pay up, and you potentially even go to court. You seemingly admit in this whole writeup that you agree to at least several of the overdraft charges, which makes me think you probably had part in each additional charge in some way.

If you are willing to openly discuss it, post up each charge (redacting the amounts if you want) to show us some supporting evidence... otherwise I think your cry of outrage is falling on deaf ears here. Most of us are tax-paying, hard-working, and law-abiding citizens. I won't speak for everyone, but this "it's everyones fault but mine" attitude has worn out its welcome in America. Welcome to the real world.

Well you misread at least part of it. I didn't have the balance in either account, but they took it out of each. They took funds I didn't have from my paypal account(making it negative) but then went ahead and tried to take it from my bank. As for the amount of times they tried to get the money, I was told that their policy is twice. Once the first time its charged, if they dont get it, they try one more, and that's it. But here they've tried a couple times.

But here's the dollar amounts that were over drafted.

I can't figure which one is the sixth right now. When I spoke to a representative they said that I had 6 failed transfers, and should only have 12 charges. But I have 16? I spoke to my banker and she froze my account so they couldn't do it anymore thank god, and then told me to bring it to the attorney general.

As for, "it doesn't matter your age to open the account", well, wrong, the end user license does say 18, but I guess that puts me in the shit. Too bad I can't pay them a fucking dime with money I don't have, so there isn't anything I can do. I'm willing to just let it go and hand in my direct deposit form when I go to bootcamp, not like I'll need the money when I'm there. At least I'll have the money to pay it then, stead of spending the next 2 months working for nothing.

Cobra427
06-18-2008, 11:13 PM
I have put myself in debt numerous times, and no matter how much I try to tell myself that it wasn't my fault, it was. Banks, paypal, etc don't go around screwing people over, they have strict guidelines and if they are broken, severe concequences like over-draft fees kick in. I put myself $1300 in the hole just last summer because I didn't set my new debit card up right to take money automatically to pay off a credit card. Instead, it drafted my old account, I got charged every month for a $150 payment, and had overdraft fees and a credit card balance out of this world. It happens, next time just be more careful.

RavagersTC
06-18-2008, 11:20 PM
At least I don't have a credit record yet to get marred. O.o

FeWolf
06-19-2008, 12:49 AM
welcome to the world of business

DocRock
06-19-2008, 02:28 AM
Just an FYI most places have a policy of attempting twice.

It puts a major hurt having 2 late fee's for each thing.

PsYcHoHoLiC
06-19-2008, 02:33 AM
All i got to say is its happened to me i'm a adult and i took responsibility for my actions.

Did you or did you not spent the money is the real question and if you did was there money to cover it in your paypal if not its your fault and no one else's..

As far as not having the money to pay for it it sucks i know but your going to have to..

I have tried to play the lets hope this don't go threw tell tomorrow game and have lost big time like to the tune of $600-to $700 bucks but you know what i paided it like the adult that i am...

as far as 2 fees look in to the policys and check i bet it has something about them being able to do that...

Draken
06-19-2008, 02:38 AM
RavagersTC, did you or did you not spend the money? If it is ID theft, thats one thing, but if YOU spent it it is 100% your fault, and if thats the case you need to quit your whining and talk to your bank, they maybe able to help with some of the over draft fees...but if they don't, you're going to need to suck it up.

Oh yeah, I had to do something I hate to do, and thats report you for cussing, need to keep it civil.

xxdabroxx
06-19-2008, 04:22 AM
your a quick learner aren't you? don't spend what you don't have. lesson learned.

RavagersTC
06-19-2008, 12:44 PM
your a quick learner aren't you? don't spend what you don't have. lesson learned.

Very good.

Cocker Master
06-19-2008, 07:08 PM
You guys are tools, if you don't have positive advise for the kid, why don't you leaving you parents' basments for a little while

Draken
06-19-2008, 09:52 PM
You guys are tools, if you don't have positive advise for the kid, why don't you leaving you parents' basments for a little while

read the advice, there is a lot of good stuff there, from a lot of adults...but it all comes down to one very simple thing....Own up to your own mistakes.

I'm sure pretty much everyone here has had overdraft fees at one point in time or another. I know I have. Most of them have been my fault, some have been the banks...any that were my fault, I paid because I made the mistake, not the bank, anytime the bank messed up, they refunded the fees.

xxdabroxx
06-20-2008, 12:14 AM
i have had my share of broke college days, with credit cards, and overdraft fees. lesson learned by me. those $30+ overdraft fees suck. don't spend what you don't have. and if you don't know how much you have, don't spend any at all.

DocRock
06-20-2008, 01:10 AM
Yup and its especially good for him to learn this under the age of 18. It shouldn't hurt his credit rating (probably doesn't have much of one), its something that will be easier to dig himself out of living at home, and its a lesson that will pay dividends forever.

GLKcasey
06-20-2008, 01:16 AM
might just need to sell some gear. if ever im in a bind thats what i do. it gets house real clean w/o random stuff i dont use anymore and makes me some dough.

jgilk1
06-20-2008, 07:25 AM
first off i would like to say the only reason i have a bank account is my insurense company doesn't accept cash in person and occasionaly i buy things off line but very seldom. the irs can't track money they can't see haha.

I had an issue similar to this with my bank i forgot about the monthly charge when i put the money for my car insurence in the account.

Well when the monthly service charge went through it over drafted my account like $4 well there is a $30 overdraft fee that is tacked on.
account balance: -$34

I put money in to cover the next months insurense and this time i had remembered the $6 charge well with my insurence being roughly $70 a month

The account now being @ a ballance of $42 i occured another $30 charge so now my account is @ a -$64

Well @ this point i got a letter from the bank saying my account was over drawn $34.

Well i went down to the bank and spoke to them about this after reviewing the report printed off it was reduced to a $4 charge and the over draft fees were waved.

You can see how something as small as a $4 fee can rack up to such a large amount of money

i am not quite shure on the actual over draft fee but it is quite steep

if the bank wasn't so understanding i would of paid the over draft fee and and wrote the whole thing off.

RavagersTC
06-20-2008, 02:08 PM
I don't have squat to sell that would even cover it. I'm waiting for my 300 dollar stimulus check. With that and my next 2 paychecks I can cover it. But it was scheduled to be in the mail last friday, and its still not here. So I don't know.

FeWolf
06-20-2008, 05:40 PM
this reminds me of a true story, I was send back of the Gulf early because my brother was in the same theather of operations. My job when I came back was to assist my soldiers wives' in paying bills, the ins and outs of the military and so forth.
I went over to one soldiers house and sat down with the wife and she brought all her bills and check book and bank statement, I looked at the statement, the where alot of Nonsufficient funds charges, when I asked her about it, she said, " I have checks so I have money ", I spent the entire day explaining how checking and credit cards worked. And the rest of the week fixing it. I ended up giving a class on it. I will say onething about my old high school, the had a class on checking, budgeting, credit cards and stocks and bonds, investments. I think that was the best class I ever had.

RavagersTC
06-20-2008, 06:13 PM
I just got off the phone with my bank, and my banker said she might be able to get rid of 2 or 3 of the fees for me to help me out. I'm hoping this check from the govt comes soon.

xxdabroxx
06-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Im thinking if your parents claimed you on their taxes, or could claim you, you will not be receiving a stimulus check. i believe i will not be receiving one, due to the fact that i was living at home for the majority of last year thus, allowing my dad to claim me. meaning that i will not receive a check even though i pay thousands of dollars a year in taxes. kinda frustrating.

or are you saying your parents are going to be giving you money out of the check they receive?

RavagersTC
06-21-2008, 02:54 AM
My parents said they didn't get to file me, and all the places I checked say parents aren't allowed to file any child who turned 17 prior to 12/31/07 for an additional 300. So I would hope I get one. Otherwise the govt is just using a big pole to bone every 17 year old and their parents.

drg
06-21-2008, 03:16 AM
Otherwise the govt is just using a big pole to bone every 17 year old and their parents.

Life lesson #2 ... get used to it lol

Try to find lube ...

PsYcHoHoLiC
06-21-2008, 10:14 PM
My parents said they didn't get to file me, and all the places I checked say parents aren't allowed to file any child who turned 17 prior to 12/31/07 for an additional 300. So I would hope I get one. Otherwise the govt is just using a big pole to bone every 17 year old and their parents.

you got a job? yes .. you filed tax return this year? yes... then you should get one...they said every one that filed this year will get one....but then again you might want to find that lube that drg recommended because this is the IRS that we are talking about....

RavagersTC
06-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Life lesson #2 ... get used to it lol

Try to find lube ...

I lol'd at this one, nice....

But yeah, workin hard to find a big enough tub of vaseline for both my bank and the govt.

xxdabroxx
06-22-2008, 05:20 PM
Q: I know some people wonít get a stimulus payment. How do I know if Iím one of them?

A: You wonít get a stimulus payment in 2008, if any of the following apply to you:

You donít file a 2007 tax return.
Your net income tax liability is zero and your qualifying income is less than $3,000. To determine your qualifying income, add together your wages, net self-employment income, nontaxable combat pay, Social Security benefits, certain Railroad Retirement benefits and certain veteransí payments.
You can be claimed as a dependent on someone elseís return (whether or not you actually are claimed as a dependent on someone else's return). For example, this would include a child or student who can be claimed on a parentís return. [Updated 4/15/08]
You do not have a valid Social Security Number.
You are a nonresident alien.
You file Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ, Form 1040PR or Form 1040SS for 2007.

this is from, http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=179181,00.html

i would look through that and see if you find anything else.

RavagersTC
06-23-2008, 06:27 PM
My dad claimed me as a dependent, but didn't get the 1000 for me, and isn't getting the 300 bonus either, so then I'm guessing I get a check?

Rayodder
06-23-2008, 07:27 PM
My dad claimed me as a dependent, but didn't get the 1000 for me, and isn't getting the 300 bonus either, so then I'm guessing I get a check?

If your dad claimed you as a dependent and he didn't get anything for it that means the household income is too high to receive a Stimulus check.

The stimulus check is not free money that government gives to everyone, it just a fancy name for a refund and to get a refund you have to pay into it first.

RavagersTC
07-07-2008, 03:31 AM
I myself didn't get a check yet. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to either :(