PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum pump rod OK?

blue_baron
06-26-2008, 01:20 PM
I was thinking of getting a raw 6061 aluminum pump rod to have anodized to match my sniper, and I just wanted to be sure of one thing first: are there any potential problems with using an aluminum pump rod instead of steel?

I can see there being issues if I was using it for a cocker configuration, but with a pump there isn't so much force, etc. Any opinions on this?

Vantrepes
06-26-2008, 01:24 PM
With 6061, it shouldn't be a problem, but the ano is going to look slightly different than the other parts because of the different alloy.

blue_baron
06-26-2008, 05:24 PM
OK thanks. By any chance does anybody know the thread size for the CCM A/T pump arm screw?

thumper
06-26-2008, 08:54 PM
OK thanks. By any chance does anybody know the thread size for the CCM A/T pump arm screw?

its a #4-40 shoulder screw -- avail from ccm for $3 ea.

blue_baron
06-27-2008, 12:02 AM
OK thanks. I wanted to know because a friend of mine was going to tap my pump rod so I wouldn't have to get a new one.

Railgun
07-06-2008, 04:44 AM
OK thanks. I wanted to know because a friend of mine was going to tap my pump rod so I wouldn't have to get a new one.

That's where I think I'd draw the line on an aluminium pump rod conversion. Drilling and tapping the 3/16 rod for that screw is one thing in steel but anther in aluminium. In the adrenaline fueled pace of battle I could easily see it failing at the screw thread.

Now if you could figure out how to install a larger "fat spot" where the screw will go that would be different. But now it isn't just a simple length of rod you thread. It would require two rods that join at a bigger section that takes the autotrigger screw.

blue_baron
07-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Yeah that's too much work for me to do. I'm just sticking with a steel pump rod just to be on the safe side. I could always do a nice polishing job on the rod anyhow, just to give it a bit more pizazz.