Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: story time!

well...it sounds like it coulda worked, but would require insane amount of lube.

I had a couple of nic-nac tungsten bearings before. Jesus they were heavy!

Well...what woulda been better if they had a tungsten core with an aluminum outside or maybe if it had a delrin sleeve around it. That would work beautifully i would think.

Of course i have no idea what you guys are talking about...so maybe i should stop talking...

I played with a tungsten/delrin hammer for a while, and all of the projections I did showed it would have been about the same as the normal steel hammers. Even using a very thin delrin sleeve, it would have been about 7 grams heavier than a stock hammer, and cost 10 times as much. Of course, that idea never got beyond the design board because of the lack of improvement. Even a steel sleeve would have only been about 8.5 grams heavier than a stock hammer.
    Aluminum wouldn't have been a good choice for a sleeve, since it tends to gall when rubbed against another aluminum part. Ask any one who has used an aluminum bolt.
    www.moodypb.com, not taking any work, but the articles are still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vantrepes View Post
    I played with a tungsten/delrin hammer for a while, and all of the projections I did showed it would have been about the same as the normal steel hammers. Even using a very thin delrin sleeve, it would have been about 7 grams heavier than a stock hammer, and cost 10 times as much. Of course, that idea never got beyond the design board because of the lack of improvement. Even a steel sleeve would have only been about 8.5 grams heavier than a stock hammer.
    Aluminum wouldn't have been a good choice for a sleeve, since it tends to gall when rubbed against another aluminum part. Ask any one who has used an aluminum bolt.
    lol *raises hand* Guilty.

But ya, i mean 7 grams is still pretty good! Course...what would the cost be of the tungsten hammer...lol like $100? absurd. But surely the drag coefficient of the delrin would do a little.

Quote Originally Posted by lsongj721 View Post
    lol *raises hand* Guilty.

But ya, i mean 7 grams is still pretty good! Course...what would the cost be of the tungsten hammer...lol like $100? absurd. But surely the drag coefficient of the delrin would do a little.
    Yeah tungsten is never cheap. You'd really have to weigh the benefits of the added mass to the cost. But if you know someone with a machine shop who has the cutting bits to work with tungsten then they could definitely make one cheaper than you could ever buy one.

Of course you could just try to find a balls to the wall polishing compound and sit there hand polishing it for a week or so.