Thread: type III anodizing

type III anodizing

do you have the capabilities of doing a true type III hard anno?

No I do not
    will only make the best no crap or can't sleep
    C/F TRIGGERS AVAILABLE NOW
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v471/acidcustom/
    check out the link for parts available now
    acidcustom@yahoo.com.au

gotta be careful with that.....

the buildup is so big that you would have to remachine a body larger to account for the "shrink"....Im doing that right now on a gov job that is +/-.0002.....after hard anno .0015-.0025 thick per side.....little ream after anno for smoothing things out Id say will be in order.....

On something like a cocker....you would really wanna get the perfect before anodize....
    granted.....you can give a plater go/nogo pins to anodize size to....but platers are not machinists and buildup is not perfectly uniform (no matter what anyone tells you)

anyways......
    My old Sniper I #379 was hard anodized originally. Hard as hell too....but that would work well when the markers we made by hand and slightly sloppy compared to the CNC version.

Chico Metal does a great job with their Hard anno's tolerances.

However, the color matching is ok at best.

I know I read somewhere that the gloss hard anno from Chico was polished after anno to give it the gloss finish. Anyone know more about that? I can't find the thread...was looking for it the other day

Not sure. But here was my J2L. You can see the color difference between the Body and frame. This was one of the reason why it was stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by metalmover View Post
    gotta be careful with that.....

the buildup is so big that you would have to remachine a body larger to account for the "shrink"....Im doing that right now on a gov job that is +/-.0002.....after hard anno .0015-.0025 thick per side.....little ream after anno for smoothing things out Id say will be in order.....

On something like a cocker....you would really wanna get the perfect before anodize....
    granted.....you can give a plater go/nogo pins to anodize size to....but platers are not machinists and buildup is not perfectly uniform (no matter what anyone tells you)

anyways......
    My old Sniper I #379 was hard anodized originally. Hard as hell too....but that would work well when the markers we made by hand and slightly sloppy compared to the CNC version.

This is a good point to consider. Are you referring to the inner bores shrinking because of the build up? I was considering having the tubes plugged or masked before anno and finishing them with a different method, one which does not have the build up of a type III, possibly a black oxide coating.... anyone have suggestions for finishing the bores? the irregularity of the buildup is something I was unaware of, sounds like another reason to not go with the type III on the inside of my marker.

Quote Originally Posted by peartree View Post
    This is a good point to consider. Are you referring to the inner bores shrinking because of the build up? I was considering having the tubes plugged or masked before anno and finishing them with a different method, one which does not have the build up of a type III, possibly a black oxide coating.... anyone have suggestions for finishing the bores? the irregularity of the buildup is something I was unaware of, sounds like another reason to not go with the type III on the inside of my marker.
    Just remember we are talking about paintball markers here not ultra precision life saving equipment, most markers will only be made to a 0.002 tolerance anyway so a slight build up shouldn't make any difference and the anodise is a cosmetic thing not wear resistance or all would be hard anodised
    will only make the best no crap or can't sleep
    C/F TRIGGERS AVAILABLE NOW
    check out the link for parts available now
    acidcustom@yahoo.com.au