Thread: Mini Orracle Build

Mini Orracle Build

I was going through my spare parts thinking it might be time to sell off some extra stuff and I realized some of these things looked like they needed to go together. I started laying the parts out on my desk and when I got done, it was obvious what was missing...

All I need is a mini Orry body. Well, not all... but close. I've never had an Orracle, but I've always thought they were a nice body style.

I started looking and PB Gateway still has NOS raw undrilled bodies for a reasonable price so I ordered one up. I haven't done a build thread in a while so I figured why not? This won't be anything too crazy but I will start with Freak boring the old style Kaner barrel, T-slotting the trigger frame for the Eclipse ASA and fitting a new school Empire clamping feed neck. I already measured a WGP press in feed neck and it's close enough that it should be a quick fit.

I'm sure some stuff will change once I get the body, test fit and mock it up, but we shall see. More to come.

7/12/17 Got the body in, 1st mock up

7/19/17 I "adjusted" the front block so the barrel will fit without rubbing

and a little more body work today, fitting the new feed neck

Last edited by JayY; 07-19-2017 at 10:42 PM. Reason: added a photo

Looks like it's going to be a fun shooter. And the anno will be??

Love build threads. Fun start, can't wait to see more.

Anno... ah the fun part. I will probably send it to Throwin ropes and see what he can do to make it look purty. I know I want a dust finish but I'll have to see it together to really figure it out.

I may look for a shorter barrel front because this is going to be a super compact marker and I think a 14" barrel might be a bit long. If I can find another 12" Kaner front like I have on my Worrlock I would probably go with that.

Well, I got the body in and started putting the pieces together to see how they look and I already ran into a fairly significant fitment issue.

The barrel back will not thread into the body with the front block in place. This is far as it goes. That's kind of surprising considering that the body, block and barrel were all made to go together from the factory and they are supposedly all original or new old stock. Apparently there is way too much metal left on the top of the block to allow the barrel to screw in all the way because the base of the barrel binds on the top of the block.

I'm either going to have to remove some of the metal on the angled Orracle mini front block or put some more thought into the straight VASA mini block from Inception Designs that I have been eyeballing lately.

I did some grinding and turns out the front block was V shaped instead of round at the top of the block. Good thing I wasn't planning to use the factory anno. I guess the batch of mini front blocks PB Gateway has are out of spec explaining why they are still around as NOS over a decade later.

The barrel fits now, but after assembling it I have decided I want this build to have an 8 inch control bore. I like the way my Stella and Empire barrels shoot with the longer bore so I am looking into that. I examined the Kaner barrel and I believe that if I have it bored for an 8 inch Freak XL insert it will be too thin inside the threads and might be weak. I think I have the solution but I'll find out when it gets here.

I got in an Inception Designs vertical mini front block and test fit it, but I don't like how close it is to the grip frame and how close my hands are together when holding it. I much prefer the the way the angled HPR looks and feels so I am going with that. The ID block is very nicely designed and fabricated with some excellent improvements over the original, but I will have to save that piece for something else later on I guess.

I have sent the grip frame out for T slot milling, and I have ordered some new parts including a different trigger and roller sear. I also have a Rat valve on the way so I may need to see about a volumizer to go with the "low pressure" internals. I don't know how that combination is going to work out in a mini body. I am guessing it won't be very low pressure when it is all said and done.

I guess I'll make some more progress next week after parts arrive or come back.

As I mentioned before, I have been planning on using a new Empire clamping feed neck, so that is going to take a little bit of modification to fit.

Too late to turn back now...

A little shaping with the dremel and a grinding wheel

Then a little more work with a rough sanding drum and files

As advertised, new clamping feed neck and about 1/2 inch lower hopper