Thread: Inception Designs EZ Asa Overview

Inception Designs EZ Asa Overview

Hey all. Not exactly sure if this will fit in here, but I figured with general chat it'd probably be okay.

I picked up one of Inception’s E/Z asa’s and I felt compelled to give an overview and give sort of a function guide as I haven’t really seen one written up yet. I’m just sort of buzzing over the general details of the asa and I’ll give my overall thoughts on it within the write up as well.
    So, I'm a design engineer/detail draftsmen and when I see something that intrigues me I'm like a dog with a bone. This little ASA is really, really cool. Simon over at Inception (or whomever engineered this thing) really has it going on. So, I’ve been looking for a good asa for my feather project and when I first saw it demo’d I started to wonder exactly how it works. I’m very glad I chose this asa. This asa features a cam lever system that has a locking detent that is all self-contained. It fits the eclipse style of t-slot rails and has an internal locking system that secures it to the rail itself. All while being streamlined and having the macro line port in front. The system has a purge feature as well and is able to be completely disassembled and rebuilt should the need ever arise. I like to work backwards and start from a pile of parts and reassemble. It’s how I work and understand assemblies. Looking at this asa from an exploded standpoint, there’s very few parts to it and they all come together to form a very functional asa with little that could go wrong.

-Exploded view, overall assembly

As you can see from the overall, this asa is able to be completely torn apart with nothing more than a 3/8” deep well and a 5/32” allen wrench. We have the asa body, the starburst valve sub assembly that engages the pin on your tank, the cam lever, a hinge pin and the cam retention sub assembly which consists of the cam pin and spring.

-Asa Body
    Taking a look at the body you can see the extensive cnc machining. There are a few tooling marks that didn’t quite make it out during the tumbling or finishing process, but that’s okay given these are surfaces that will interact with other moving components. There are little to no burs or sharp edges given the complexity of the tool paths and the size of each cut.

Directly below the middle knuckle of my index finger, we can see the swept boss that the cam pin rides on to give us the path that will engage the valve.

In the above shot, we’re able to see the threaded holes that the set screws will utilize in order to lock the asa onto the rail. These holes are completely concealed once the cam lever is locked onto the body of the asa. This feature gives an extremely clean finish underneath and answers the question I had of just how in the world this thing mounts and locks onto a rail.

Above we have the top view of the asa’s main body. This is the T slot and it has a lightening cut along the extruded boss. The machining is very clean and the surface finish is very smooth.

-Cam Lever

Looking at the cam lever there is a single extruded boss that will house the cam pin and spring. In the third picture you can see the slot that will engage the hinge pin. I’ll have a shot later on in the writeup that shows the hinge pin inside the body. The machining is super clean and material was taken out where necessary while still leaving a very solid billet piece afterwards. As with the main body there are a few tooling marks but given that this was probably tumble finished I’m not surprised. These are minor and aren’t visible once the asa is assembled. Overall a very solid piece.
    Last edited by hammontw; 05-04-2018 at 03:14 PM.

-Starburst valve sub-assembly

This valve sub-assembly is able to be disassembled and rebuild should a leak develop. In the first picture we can see the air transfer port that goes through the asa body to the macroline fitting. We have a pin boss that will interact with your tank’s pin, this appears to be stainless. A brass body which has cross sections machined into the face to allow air to flow around the plug face. This is a cool feature if you have a ninja style regulator that uses a ball bearing over a traditional pin valve. The starbust plug will actually sit within a recess on a tank regulator once it’s screwed into the asa, and these cuts allow air to flow. This body containes a counter bored hole that holds an oring. This oring engages the pinboss and seals around it. We have a sort of cap that is shaped like a top-hat that the pin boss first drops through and then slides into the brass body. This assembly threads into the asa body and sticks through as shown in the third picture.

-Macroline fitting and hinge pin.

This macroline fitting is very short and appears to have a Teflon gasket that is not supple but has enough give to it (given the material) to seal once screwed into the asa body. There are no cuts along the body to tighten it externally, but rather has a hex head face on the inside that will engage with a 5/32” allen wrench.
    The hinge pin will interact with the body as shown in the last picture, this is where the slot in the cam lever will engage as I prefaced earlier.

-All coming together and final thoughts.

Coming together the cam lever will interact and slide down until the cam pin and spring are compressed with the lever. You’ll reach a stopping point to where the cam pin needs to be pressed in just a bit further yet in order for the cam lever to slide down completely. Once done the asa is fully assembled. I wasn’t able to get a good photo set of this, and Simon goes over this step in a youtube video of where he has a build series on one of their markers.

This is an excellent asa, and certainly one of the cooler ones I’ve seen in a long time. The overall finish is outstanding and the fit is very good. Everything is tight and has very little slop. This asa is sleek, has great function and will last for many years to come. They are on the pricey side, but given the features, ease of disassembly and the fact that it can be rebuilt has me sold. I will be buying 2 more to install on my remaining markers. This one will be sent to an anodizing company for custom finish and I’m extremely happy with the ease in which it came apart and goes back together.

Lengthy read, thanks for sticking with me!
    -TJ
    Last edited by hammontw; 05-04-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Great write up and detail on a great ASA. Had one on my meteor build and it was just as you describe: sleek, easy, and innovative.

To add to this Inception is also incredibly gracious and provides excellent customer support. I goofed playing one day and must have pressed to degas too hard. Didn't realize I had lost the entire lever assembly until back in the pits. Luckily I found everything except the pivot pin. A quick email and they (free of charge which they didn't need to do) had a replacement to me two days later.

Needless to say I'll definitely be buying Inception for years to come.