Thread: Karnivor tuning help

Karnivor tuning help

Hey all. Not too long ago I wound up buying a karnivor that had little to no use on it. The original total shot count was just over 1200. It had been sitting for around 10 years and I decided that I'd replace things as I needed. Wound up rebuilding the HPR and evo ram. Set the board to factory fast and I wasn't able to get it to chrono higher than 270. The springs are original to the marker.

Rec ball paint with as tightest bore I had and it could have been smaller yet.
    270 fps +/- 15 as per my virtue clock
    HPR 260 psi
    lpr unknown
    IVG 4 turns in from flush.

I started out at what I believed was two turns in from flush and 250 psi on the reg. I swept up and down and wasn't able to get it above 230 fps until a higher ivg setting. I also noticed I was having some LPR issues. As I increased the reg pressure, it seemed like pressure from the lpr would cut unless I backed it out to zero input and slowly turned it back in.

Wound up buying a valve and hammer spring kit and after a complete tear down I saw the original valve's oring was smashed so I wound up replacing it as well as the valve spring. I couldn't tell much between it and the new WGP one I found. The hammer spring was a different story, I wound up feeling a difference in spring pressure between the pull out versus the new one. I also gutted the LPR and did a full replace of the orings, 2 springs and brass/steel cupseal with the embedded oring.

With this, I was going to start back on 250 psi and 2 turns in from flush on the IVG. Someone on MCB has their input pressure from their karni reg at 250 so I figured it'd be a good starting point.

If anyone has any tips or pointers I'm all ears. Will fill up tomorrow and report back with my findings.

-Troy
    WTB: MECHANICAL ECLIPSE AUTOCOCKER!!! PM ME IF YOU'RE READY TO PART WITH YOURS!!

Sounds like you already went over pretty much everything that could cause the inconsistency, just follow the sweetspotting steps (I'd start at about 220 PSI) and get it dialed in.

I wound up getting it dialed in at 260 psi, left it at 2 turns and it's fairly consistent and quiet.
    WTB: MECHANICAL ECLIPSE AUTOCOCKER!!! PM ME IF YOU'RE READY TO PART WITH YOURS!!

iirc Karni regs were set to ~280 psi from the factory. Then adjust the IVG for 280 fps. I believe about 1-2 threads visible in back of gun. So your pretty close to that.

The hammer spring, did you reuse a specific karni spring? It’s different from the traditional hammer springs.